Q: How do I register to vote or change my voter registration?

Qualifications to Register to Vote

To register to vote, you must:

  • be a United States citizen;
  • be at least 16 years of age (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the election in which you want to vote);
  • live at your present address for at least 30 days before an election;
  • not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction and;
  • not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
  • not claim the right to vote elsewhere.

How and Where to Register to Vote (Deadlines)

How to Make Changes to Your Registration

Change of Name and/or Address

The voter registration form should be used as a change of address form. Notices of change of address from registered voters received at least 20 days before a special, primary or general election by the county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for that election.

Change of Party Enrollment

The voter registration form should be used to change your party enrollment from one party to another or to enroll for the first time in a party. Changes of enrollment received after February 14th and until seven days after the June primary will take effect the seventh day following the June primary. All other enrollment changes will take effect immediately. Please see Deadlines referenced above.

Victims of Domestic Violence

N.Y. Election Law (5-508) allows victims of domestic violence who obtain a court order from NY Supreme Court in the county where they are registered to have their voter registration record kept separate and apart from other registration records and not be made available for inspection or copying by the public or any other person, except election officials acting within the course and scope of their official duties. Under a separate section of the law (11-306), you can also be excused from going to your polling place to vote and get a special ballot. For further information, you should contact your local board of elections for their confidential registration and special ballot procedures.

 Back to "How Do I...?"